Monday, December 22, 2008

barry gets confused.

metric, imperial, metric, imperial, metric, imperial AHH! for my inaugural use of my new favourite book, david rocco’s dolce vita, i decided to try his spaghetti alla carbonara recipe for a friend visiting canada for the holidays. i’ve been on the hunt for an authentic carbonara recipe since coming back from italy three years ago, and was excited to finally have found one. i headed down to the italian centre on 51 ave for the pasta, pancetta and pecorino, i laid out all my equipment and ingredients for ease in preparation, and i even allowed witnesses to join me in the kitchen while preparing the dish. i was ready to go… and then i screwed it up.

although david clearly states that this dish needs 1 lbs of spaghetti, my metric instincts kicked in and i foolishly converted the 1 lbs of pasta to 1 kg, thus roughly doubling the amount of pasta required for the recipe. i blame my high school math teacher for drilling all things metric into my head. the result was an oh-so-tasty and incredibly dry pasta dish that could have fed the thrashing crew during harvest, but instead left me with leftovers that i thought would never end.
carbonara take 2:

with so many leftovers to work with, my brain luckily cleared up. by reheating the pasta and adding additional eggs, milk and cheese, i was able to give my dried up pasta new life, and have a proper spaghetti alla carbonara for my leftovers. may the metric system never fail me again.

No comments:

Post a Comment